Need help deciding from the array of activities available in Port Douglas? Take a look at our top 10 things to do!
1. Four Mile Beach – it’s not a holiday in Port Douglas if you don’t check out one of our most famous attractions, Four Mile Beach! Backed by beautiful palms, the broad band of squeaky white sand reaches as far as your squinting eyes can see. Take advantage of the patrolled swimming enclosure in front of the surf life saving club. To experience the amazing view over Four Mile Beach, follow Wharf st and the steep Island Point rd to Flagstaff Hill lookout.
2. Great Barrier Reef – it would be considered criminal to holiday in Port Douglas and not experience one of the Seven Wonders of the World that is right on our doorstep! Spend the day cruising around the Great Barrier Reef (see our tours page to choose one that suits you) snorkelling, diving or viewing from above water. Take in the beauty of the worlds largest and most spectacular coral reef system with over 6,600 different species of flora and fauna!
3. Daintree Rainforest – The Daintree National Park is the site of the oldest living rainforest on earth, the Daintree Rainforest. It is the only place in the world where two World Heritage-listed sites meet, the Daintree Rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef. Consisting of nearly 900 000 hectares, vegetation is primarily tropical rainforest, but also includes open eucalypt forest, wetlands and mangrove forests. See our Tours page for day trip options!
4. Adventure – are you the adventurous type? Port Douglas has a wide range of thrill seeking activities that are set to give you that adrenaline kick you have been searching for! The Daintree offers quad bike tours, four wheel driving adventures and you can even jungle surf! Why not take things to the next level with skydiving, hangliding and microlight! Our personal favourite activity is enjoying a gorgeous hot air balloon ride. Take a look at our tours page to see what is right for you.
5. Dining – Port Douglas is a world class destination for high quality food and wine. Take a short stroll to Macrossan Street and you will be astounded by the number of award winning restaurants and chic cafes. A few of our ultimate favourite are Salsa Bar & Grill, 2 Fish Seafood, Finz and Zinc. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, the selection is yours with a choice to suit all budgets! Book your table in advance to avoid disappointment.
6. Shopping – From the sprawling seaside Port Douglas markets every Sunday morning to specialty Port Douglas shopping boutiques, leisure retail stores and Port Douglas art galleries, shopping in Port Douglas will be hard to resist! Whether you’re searching for new swimwear, locally made and exclusive artwork, jewellery, designer clothing, or just a small souvenir, Port Douglas has it all. We suggest strolling along Macrossan Street and Port Douglas Marina.
7. Scenic Helicopter Flight – looking for something a little different that will truly amaze? Why not enjoy a scenic helicopter flight over Port Douglas to The Great Barrier Reef, Daintree or both? Flying over two of Australia’s greatest national treasures is a once in a lifetime experience that will stay in your mind forever. See our tours page for more info or bookings!
8. Port Douglas Carnivale – if you are visiting Port Douglas during the annual Carnivale celebrations you are in luck! This 10 day events fills the streets of Port Douglas with colour, dancing, food, wine, entertainment, shopping, arts, sports, comdedy, culture and more. This magical festival is the highlight of the year!
9. Fishing – if you are a keen fisherman then Port Douglas is the place for you. There are many fishing charters available that take you to the river and reef for a day of fishing fun! Alternatively, hire your own dingy equipped with fishing gear and hold your own fishing trip!
10. Sunset Sailing – a gorgeous experience that makes for the perfect romantic experience. Soak up the peace and tranquillity of a tropical Sunset over the Coral Sea with spectacular mountain views. We highly suggest the ‘Sailaway Sunset Tour’ which includes delicious canapes, a bar and first class service.
[vegasslider id=”185″ fade=”3000″ delay=”5000″ overlay=”” title=”” arrows=”no” autoplay=”no”]